Posted by gateauxI got this wonderfull recipe from one of my cake decorating teachers. Everyone loves it. I am posting it here so I can always reach it quickly! Good Luck.
Decorating Icing Recipe
- 6 1/2 or 7 tbsp of cold water - never use warm or hot water as the powdered eggs might turn on you! 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice 2 tsp vanilla extract 2 tsp almond extract 1/4 tsp popcorn salt it's found in the popcorn section and it's finer. 2 lb powedered sugar sifted 2 tbsp meringue powder 1 1/2 cup crisco or butter if you want pure white use crisco cut in 1 inch slivers
- put all wet ingredients, then powdered egg whites or meringue powder and 1/2 of powdered sugar and the salt in the mixer and mix for a few minutes.
- Then add the crisco or butter and mix a few more minutes.
- Then add the rest of the sugar and mix until blended on slow, then mix for about 5-8 minutes on a higher setting until you get a really smooth icing with the consistency you need.
- Then you are good to go, you can 1/2 the recipe and it works well. I have tried to cut it back some more but it does not work so good and doubling it is clumpy unless you have a mixer larger than 6 quarts.
- Good Luck