Posted by gourmetcakes
The key to this chocolately fudge icing is using Hershey's Cocoa. It is a very rich icing that crusts over very nicely. Make sure you sift the cocoa or you will have little clumps of cocoa throughout your smooth icing. Learned this from personal experience. Enjoy!
Crusting Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup salted sweet cream butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup Crisco All Vegetable Shortening
- 3 t. Pure Vanilla extract
- 2 lbs. (8 cups) sifted powdered sugar, divided
- 1 cup sifted Hershey's Cocoa
- 1 T. Meringue Powder
- 8-9 T. heavy whipping cream, divided
- Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla, cream until smooth.
- Sift together powdered sugar and Hershey's Cocoa.
- Add Meringue Powder.
- Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar mixture, beating well on medium speed until blended (keep bowl covered with damp towel while beating to keep powdered sugar in bowl).
- Add 1/3 of the heavy whipping cream, mixing until blended.
- Add 1/3 more of the powdered sugar mixture, beating well on medium speed until blended.
- Add 1/3 more of the heavy whipping cream, mixing until blended.
- Add remaining powdered sugar mixture and remaining heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Cover with damp cloth until ready to use. Keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Can be refrigerated for 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.
- When icing a cake, allow to crust over for at least 15 minutes.