Posted by CakeQueen52485This is a really great cake. I usually make this when I go to my Greandma's for tea, but I havn't found one person who doesn't like it. The spices that are needed for this cake I can usually find in the bulk food section at my grocery store (Top Food or Fred Meyers). But when I buy the spices, I buy enough to make about 10-12 batches to keep in my cubboard because I like to add it to cookies and biscotti recipes.
Chai Tea cake (from cake mix)
- 1/2 cup boilig water 4 bags of black tea 3/4 cup cold water 1 box Betty Crocker super moist yellow cake NO SUBSTITUTES!! otherwise it just doesn't taste right 1/3 cup vegetable oil 3 eggs 2 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp ground cardamom 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg Betty Crocker rich and creamy vanilla frosting
- 1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottoms and sides of two 8inch round cake pans.
- 2) Place tea bags in a heat proof 2 cup measuring cup and add boiling water, let steep 3-5 minutes. Add cold water to bring down temp and make 1 1/4 cups of tea.
- 3) In large bowl, beat cake mix, tea, oil and eggs with electric mixer for 30 sec. on low speed and 3 min. on med speed. Devide batter between two pans. In small bowl, combine sugar and spices, sprinkle evenly over cake batter. Swirl with a tooth pick.
- 4) Bake in the oven for 30-32 minutes, until toothpick comes out mosty clean, do not over bake or it will dry out while resting. Let rest in pan for 15 min. then turn out onto wire rack, top side up. If you put it top side down, it will make the cake dense, top side up leaves the cake fluffy.
- 5) In a micowave safe bowl, place desired ammount of frosting into bowl and microwave on high until thin, about 10 seconds. Pour frosting into a ziploc bag and seal. Cut off corner and drizzle over cake. You really don't need much frosting because the cake itself is really good. 230 calories (calories from fat 90); total fat 10g (saturated fat 2.5g; Trans fat 1g); Cholesterol 40mg; sodium 240mg; total carb 32g (dietary fiber 0g; sugar 20g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1 starch; 1 other carbohydrate; 2 fat Carbohydrate choices: 2