Posted by BlueRose8302I had an order that included 9 red velvet cakes--and I couldn't find a recipe that I liked well enough. My aunt Carolyn gave me her recipe and I think it is the best one I have found! The tase and textue is very nice and it doesn't crack and shrink like some other's I have tried. I hope that you like it!
Carolyn's Red Velvet
- 1/2 cup crisco 1 1/2 cup sugar 2 eggs 2 tbs cocoa 1 oz bottle red food coloring 1 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup buttermilk 2 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp white vinegar.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together crisco, sugar and eggs.
- In small dish, make a paste out of cocoa and red coloring. Add to sugar mixture.
- Mix salt, vanilla and buttermilk in seperate bowl. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixture to batter beginning and ending with flour.
- In first small dish-mix baking soda and vinegar together. Stir-do not beat-the vinegar into the batter.
- Pour into 3 8 inch pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean. The recipe originally called for 2 bottles of red--but that just seems like so much to me. I also used apple cider vinegar instead of white sometimes for the added sweetness. This is a great Southern staple that is best with cream cheese icing!