Related Forum Threads
- What kind of chocolate (semisweet, etc) to be used in baking? Last post on 3/11/13 at 8:27am in Recipes
Strawberry Butter Cream Filling
Edited on 5/19/08
- Red Velvet CheesecakeEdited on 11/15/10
- Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/FillingEdited on 11/15/10
- Red Velvet Cake 1920
Alphabetical Article List
Carolyn's Red Velvet
Posted by BlueRose8302I had an order that included 9 red velvet cakes--and I couldn't find a recipe that I liked well enough. My aunt Carolyn gave me her recipe and I think it is the best one I have found! The tase and textue is very nice and it doesn't crack and shrink like some other's I have tried. I hope that you like it!
Carolyn's Red Velvet
- 1/2 cup crisco 1 1/2 cup sugar 2 eggs 2 tbs cocoa 1 oz bottle red food coloring 1 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup buttermilk 2 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp white vinegar.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together crisco, sugar and eggs.
- In small dish, make a paste out of cocoa and red coloring. Add to sugar mixture.
- Mix salt, vanilla and buttermilk in seperate bowl. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixture to batter beginning and ending with flour.
- In first small dish-mix baking soda and vinegar together. Stir-do not beat-the vinegar into the batter.
- Pour into 3 8 inch pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean. The recipe originally called for 2 bottles of red--but that just seems like so much to me. I also used apple cider vinegar instead of white sometimes for the added sweetness. This is a great Southern staple that is best with cream cheese icing!
- Red Velvet Cheesecake
Currently, there are 808 Active Users (13 Members and 795 Guests)
- › how do I make a shark...plz help 4 minutes ago
- › Need a Moist Red Velvet Recipe 24 minutes ago
- › Mousse request 26 minutes ago
- › Anxiety About Cake Deliveries?! 27 minutes ago
- › Cake Photo's With Faces Clarification 31 minutes ago
- › How is this cake done?? 41 minutes ago
- › Strawberry Cake 43 minutes ago
- › accountants/accounting 56 minutes ago
- › fondant ruffled 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Need help with gumpaste sunflowers 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking
- › How To Make Royal Icing (that won't dry... by sugarkissed_net
- › Marzipan (This is the recipe that i'm... by Ella1950