Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/Filling
Edited on 11/15/10
- Strawberry Butter Cream FillingEdited on 5/19/08
- Boston Cream Pie IIEdited on 5/5/04
- Boston Cream Pie I
Alphabetical Article List
Boston Cream Pie III
Posted by JackieBoston Cream Pie is really a cake consisting of 2 layers of yellow cake filled with pastry cream and topped with chocolate glaze. This recipe is easier than it looks and well worth the effort!
Boston Cream Pie III
- 2 cups cake flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3/4 cup milk 3 egg yolks Filling 1 cup milk 3 egg yolks 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon butter 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Chocolate Glaze 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon hot water confectioners' sugar for dusting
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round cake pans and line bottoms with rounds of parchment paper. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2 In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with 3/4 cup milk. Mix only enough to blend thoroughly; do not overmix.
3 Divide the batter between 2 - 8 inch pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
4 To make the Pastry Cream Filling: In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup milk to the boiling point and remove from heat. In a heatproof mixing bowl, beat 3 egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until pale yellow. Beat in 1/4 cup flour. Pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture in steady stream, beating constantly. When all the milk has been added, place the bowl over a pan of boiling water so that the bowl is not touching the water, or pour the mixture into the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cook 2 minutes more, then remove from the heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Let cool.
5 To make the Glaze: In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate with 2 tablespoons butter. When smooth, remove from the heat and beat in the confectioners sugar to make a thick paste. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in a little of the hot water. If the glaze does not have a spreadable consistency, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time.
6 To assemble the cake, spread the cooled pastry cream over one of the cake layers. Place second cake layer over pastry cream and spread the chocolate glaze over the top using a metal spatula. Dust top with confectioners sugar. Refrigerate any leftover cake.
- Strawberry Butter Cream Filling
- › First "Real" Cake 11 minutes ago
- › Cake needed for this Sunday in Puyallup, WA 15 minutes ago
- › Help making Antlers for Deer Cake 16 minutes ago
- › Pricing spread sheet?? 22 minutes ago
- › Frosting 22 minutes ago
- › cake help 26 minutes ago
- › dusting and steaming gumpaste 31 minutes ago
- › Cakes didn't survive the trip :-( 35 minutes ago
- › cracked buttercream 35 minutes ago
- › Late night cake ANXIETY--- Please help me 37 minutes ago
- › KitchenAid KV25GOXMC Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer,... by MandiRose28
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Owl Cupcake Topper by FancyTopcake
- › Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by sugarkissed_net
- › Puppy cake topper- picture tutorial by melinart
- › 3D Elmo Cake!! by THECAKEBAR
- › Monkey Cake/Cupcake Topper by melinart
- › New type of Peony Tutorial by melinart
- › Super Hero Cake Pops by sugarkissed_net
- › How to make an Eiffel Tower by prettycupcake
- › Ruffled Fondant Flower by couturecakesbyrose
- › 10 Quick and Easy steps to making a perfectly... by RoyalAidan