Edited on 6/13/11
- Yellow cakeEdited on 6/12/11
- Yellow cakeEdited on 6/12/11
- S'mores- WASC
- topicYellow Cakes
Alphabetical Article List
12 Layer Cake
Posted by BethrozeThis is one impressive cake!!! I have put the ingredients for both the chocolate icing and the caramel icing. Recommended Technique: If you buy inexpensive aluminum foil cake pans at the grocery store (they can be saved for another time as well), you will be able to knock out layers in no time. And no washing between baking!
12 Layer Cake
- CAKE 4 ½cups all-purpose flour, sifted 1 ½teaspoons baking powder ¼teaspoon salt 1 ½cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp (I use margarine in the cake batter.) 2 ½cups sugar 6large eggs, at room temperature 3cups milk 1 ½teaspoons vanilla extract CHOCOLATE ICING 3cups sugar ½cup unsweetened cocoa powder, pref Dutch process 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut up 112-ounce can evaporated milk 1tablespoon vanilla extract powder sugar if needed CARAMEL ICING 2boxes light brown sugar 2sticks butter ¾cup milk pinch of baking soda 2teaspoons vanilla extract powder sugar if needed
- CAKE DIRECTIONS
- Position racks in the center and bottom third of the oven and preheat to 375F. Spray four 8 ½ to 9 inch pans (you will bake the cakes in three batches). (Sometimes I line the bottoms of the pans with parchment, but not always.)
- To make the layer, sift together the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Sift the mixture one more time, and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle blade on high speed until light in color and texture, about three minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl and be sure the mixture is well blended. On low speed, add the flour in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of the milk. Begin and end with the flour, and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula. Beat in the vanilla. Using a scant cup for each layer, spread the batter evenly in the pans. It will make a thin layer.
- Staggering the pans on t he racks so they are at least 2 inches from each other and the side of the oven and not directly over each other, bake the layers until they feel firm when pressed in the centers and are beginning to pull away from the sides of the pans, about 12 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Invert the layers onto cake racks and cool completely. Wash and prepare the pans. Repeat the procedure until all 12 layers have been baked and cooled.
- ICING DIRECTIONS
- Put first 4 ingredients on medium heat. Stir until sugar is melted. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Move to cool place and let rest for 5 minutes. Add vanilla. Beat until thickened enough to spread but still pourable.
- Make sure to cover your cardboard, or cake plate with wax paper strip, because this can be messy. I pour about ¼ cup of icing in a spiral on the first layer and place the next layer pressing down lightly with my hand in the center. Continue this process until all layers are placed. Try not to put too much icing between layers or they will begin to slide around. You may pour the remaining icing over the cake as a glaze, or beat in powdered sugar to make a thicker icing to frost the outside of the cake.
- It has lots of eggs, lets call it "good for breakfast."
- Yellow cake
Currently, there are 911 Active Users (12 Members and 899 Guests)
- › Pricing my cake... 2 minutes ago
- › A Thread for all UK bakers!! 11 minutes ago
- › My newest "trick" 19 minutes ago
- › How to paint on candy melt 21 minutes ago
- › Help! I feel just AWFUL! 26 minutes ago
- › URGENT!! Baking a three layer cake - How do you all do it? 34 minutes ago
- › Candy melt transfers?? 36 minutes ago
- › How do I brush face details on a cake pop? 40 minutes ago
- › Returns... 50 minutes ago
- › Attention all TX Cottage Food Bakers 52 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › how to make free hand GARDEINA'S ! by galidink
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat