Can I Put A Fondant Covered Cake In The Firdge?

Decorating By Manotas Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 11:20am by dancingqueen07

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

My name is Nathalie; I'm new here and at cake decorating. AND already addicted to cake central icon_lol.gif

I have a question, I made my first fondant covered cake yesterday for my cake class. The cake is white almond sour cream with pudding filling (store bought) and covered with Wilton fondant.

Should I keep it in the fridge? (It already is in the fridge) or should I keep it out until I use it tomorrow (Saturday)?

Thank you so much!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

Since you are using a perishable filling, it should be kept in the fridge. However, take it out at least an hour before your class and set it in front of a fan on low to help it dry. Do NOT touch the fondant for at least an hour so that it has a chance to dry.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 7

I always put mine in the fridge especially if it has a pudding or fruit filling.

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much! I thought I ruined my cake as read somewhere to NEVER put a covered fondant cake in the fridge.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 7

I've heard the same thing -- some people are adamant that fondant should never be refrigerated. But I've never had a problem with it personally. I used to work at a bakery that did about 700 wedding cakes/year (about half of them fondant), and they put all their cakes in the fridge with no problems.

dragonfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonfire Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:35am
post #6 of 7

A question in the same category... For how long can the cake stand in the refrigerator without being spoiled?

I am planning to make my very first fondant cakes (yes two at once! icon_biggrin.gif ) for my birthday party next weekend. I am gonna serve the cakes in Saturday, and the quuestion is how long ahead I can make the cakes and cover them without risking them being spoiled? The filling will be different kinds of mousse, and they will be frosted with maringue butter cream and chocolate butter cream respecively, and then covered with fondant.
I have kind of a tight scheduale, so I was hoping maybe I could make the cakes ready on wednesday, but I was afraid that they would not last?

dancingqueen07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dancingqueen07 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:20am
post #7 of 7

I never put my cakes in the fridge at any stage during the decorating process (although I too am fairly new to cake making) as I believe it effects the sponge and it is never as soft once placed in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%