How Do I Get Gold And Silver Icing Colors

Decorating By lm499 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:35am by erichazann

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 19

How do I make or where do I buy gold icing? i see some cakes that have are drizzled in gold or silver.

18 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 19

Hi, do you want to colour your buttercream in gold/silver? I don't think I can help you with that.

But if you want to colour the fondant ( accents ) with those colours, you can use lustre Dust ( there are different gold colours ) mixed with little bit of clear alcohol ( Vodka ) or clear Lemon extract. You also can use Confectioner's glaze for it too. You need to one coat at a time. Do the first coat and then let it dry and then do the second one.

HTH.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 19

You 'make' it yourself as bashini said.......mix luster dust w/alcohol such as vodka, Everclear or extracts. It needs to be thin if using in an airbrush but thicker if painted on.
It is non-toxic but is not intended to be used on anything that will be eaten. Any decoration it is used on should be removed and not served.

lm499 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 19

I'm glad you told me not to eat it!!!!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 19

Hi kakeladi,

Silly question, but why can luster dust and lemon extract be eaten? I seen cakes dusted with luster dust before.

Thanks,
Tammy

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 19

glendaleAZ asked:why can luster dust and lemon extract be eaten? I seen cakes dusted with luster dust before. .....

*Luster dust & lemon extract are perfectly o.k. icon_smile.gif It's *matalic* colors of gold and silver that cannot. Remember in this OPs ? she want *gold* color.
The best one can do is make a golden yellow icing and paint it w/Karo Syrup or piping gel thinned down for the shine.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 19

You really can't eat anything that has luster dust on it? I've seen some cakes where gold or silver was painted on the cake. Or if you watch Amazing Wedding Cakes, the platinum cake was painted with silver. Are you not supposed to eat it?
I never used it before but I was planning on using it on cupcakes tomorrow. Can you use pearl dust on chocolate at all?

lm499 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 19

Ok, I'm confused! I need my cake to shimmer and I'm not using fondant. It will be buttercream and need to eat it! icon_smile.gif How can I achieve this. Someone help.

glendaleAZ Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for the reply kakeladi.

Another Question
I have silver, gold, and bronze Pearl Dust (Wilton), and silver and gold Petal Dust, can these be consumed safely?

kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:48am
post #10 of 19

I have never used Wilton dusts (and don't intend to!).
I do beleive the petaldusts are o.k. -- it's the ones that are matalic such as NuSilver that are not to be consumed.

To Im499: I repeat my suggestion on how to get a shiny gold finish on your b'cream cake:
The best one can do is make a golden yellow icing and paint it w/Karo Syrup or piping gel thinned down for the shine.

xtrulyexotic askes: You really can't eat anything that has luster dust on it? I've seen some cakes where gold or silver was painted on the cake. Or if you watch Amazing Wedding Cakes, the platinum cake was painted with silver. Are you not supposed to eat it?.....

No, that's not what I saidicon_smile.gif It's *ONLY* the matalic (shiny true) gold and silver dusts you cannot eat. Yes, I see lots of people who use silver & gold on their cakes......even I have in the past but.......
NuSilver and gold are heavy metals that are never digested nor eleminated from the body. They stay inside you and any you consume builds up and can poision you over time. How much time? How much consumned? I don't know.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #11 of 19

I'm gonna die!! I've unfortunately ate them all, repeatedly. Especially the Wilton luster dust, silver, gold, bronze.....I'm doomed. I only have that brand available here where I live. Oh no, I've also ate the little gold and silver dragees, when I was a kid. My mom feed them to me even! Now I'm hooked on the disco dust....I see the light, the sparkly light! icon_lol.gif

Just kidding. I have ate them all. Didn't know I couldn't. Most of the packages say you can.

glendaleAZ Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:30am
post #12 of 19

Kakeladi â Thank you for all the information. I certainly do not wish to poison anyone with my creations.

Malakin â Youâre hysterical FDLOL icon_lol.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:09am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I have never used Wilton dusts (and don't intend to!).
I do beleive the petaldusts are o.k. -- it's the ones that are matalic such as NuSilver that are not to be consumed.

To Im499: I repeat my suggestion on how to get a shiny gold finish on your b'cream cake:

xtrulyexotic askes: You really can't eat anything that has luster dust on it? I've seen some cakes where gold or silver was painted on the cake. Or if you watch Amazing Wedding Cakes, the platinum cake was painted with silver. Are you not supposed to eat it?.....

No, that's not what I saidicon_smile.gif It's *ONLY* the matalic (shiny true) gold and silver dusts you cannot eat. Yes, I see lots of people who use silver & gold on their cakes......even I have in the past but.......
NuSilver and gold are heavy metals that are never digested nor eleminated from the body. They stay inside you and any you consume builds up and can poision you over time. How much time? How much consumned? I don't know.

i'm sorry for asking again, coz i can't seem to understand. specifically, if i were to paint my BC icing with wilton's gold pearl dust, will it be edible?

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:50am
post #14 of 19

I use PME Edible Lustre Spray. They come in all sorts of colors, including gold and silver. They can be sprayedo n anything. I've used on BC and fondant and it turns out fine. It's also edible and doesn't change the taste or bleed.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:08am
post #15 of 19

i'm planning on making cupcakes with gold rosettes. i know i can't spray the rosettes without smearing the background. icon_sad.gif

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 19

You could make the rosettes on wax paper, let them dry a bit then spray them. From there you could place them on the cupcake. Or do a FBCT of the rosette and spray.

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:01am
post #17 of 19

I know this thread was old and resurected, but it is full of bad bad and wrong information!

NuSilver is totally edible! All Luster Dusts are non-toxic and edibile. However, they will not give you a really metallic look, like Highlighter Dusts.

Only Highlighter Dusts are not food safe.

You can mix any dust with clear spirits to paint on a cake or dust it on dry. However, it will be a PITA to color a whole cake this way.

To color a whole cake a metallic color, use Americolor airbrush sheen colors. You can use them in a spray bottle as well as with an airbrush.

Also, Chefmaster and PME make aerosol sprays for $10 a can.

Duff makes a silver spray (available at Michaels) but it is not very good or metallic.

For a comparision of some gold dusts, see this great video by Edna.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #18 of 19

What is a highlighter dust? What is the brand?

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:35am
post #19 of 19

Highlighter is just a high-sheen metallic finish dust. CK makes them, so does sunflower sugar art.. I'm sure other brands do too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%