Going To Try The Star Cookie Cutter Trees Today--?

Baking By cakeatopia Updated 10 Dec 2006 , 2:04am by Fascination

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 21

I have a set of 6 cutters so I am going to use that. Think I may do 2 of a few of the sizes. Teacher gifts and a few for friends. Dough will be made in a bit.

I was thinking of maybe putting a thick straw of even a chostick down the center for added strength. I'd use the royal icing to glue them together.=, but was thinking of doing this to make sure it doesn't topple over and also would not have to use a ton of icing. Anyone try this? Would it do any harm?
I just don't want the thing to topple over! And I am making 8 of them,

Also, this is probably a DUMB question, but..........................you do bake these for people to eat right? Not just decoration like most GB houses.

And would the No fails be strong enough? How about the Choc roll outs from kitchengifts.com?

Thanks!

20 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 21

That is an interesting idea about dowling the star cookie tree. My daughter made one years ago and the royal icing held it tight, but we also did not transport it anywhere. I am also wodering about others' opinions on using NFSC - in my experience in making those, they should be strong enough to work. Hmmm, may have to make some myself! icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 21

here's a pic of TWO trees I did w/ grand niece. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-44069.html

both trees held together w/ only regular buttercream icing.

and both had to travel first 3 hours by car to meeting point to do the pass off of child and trees to the "other" side of the family, who then drove another 3 hours to get home....

trees survived just fine without need for RI or dowel or straws, etc.

oh...(shhhhh! -- don't tell anyone!) but as family was pressed for time to turn these out -- we used store bought dough! -- that really soft stuff. still worked just fine. --

only problem was "artistic" differences between uncle and grandniece over how trees should look. she won, of course.

and the pic below shows us just getting started. did this for every layer. trees built using TWO cookies of each size.
LL

cakeatopia Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks yous! icon_wink.gif

I am also going to use fondant for the icing. I made two batches of the stuff yesterday, so hoping this all works. Looks easy enough but you know those easy projects always seem to be buggers in the end.

I want to try 2 just to get started and then I will mass poduce them!

I even cleaned off my dining room table to get all these done.

Thanks again!

MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 21

Fondant icing - that is a great idea! thumbs_up.gif So much quicker than trying to ice each cookie as you can use the cutter on the fondant for the perfect shape! Now, would you use royal or buttercream to attach them? Hey, maybe this will be a reason for me to try rolled buttercream instead of MMF!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks Doug for the information and the pics. I am going to try these on a cake, got the idea from one of the Wilton yearbooks. Was wondering how to do the trees. I think I do need to dowl them to the cake however.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 21

My family and I made those every year for the holiday. We normally don't eat it, as we used it for our table centerpieces (4 cookie trees) when we have a family gathering.

cakeatopia Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 21

Momlittr--I think I will use royal(antonia74's) to glue them together. I think I will do a total of 8 cookies--2 of the bottom 2 cookies and then the little star--stand it up--hmmmm I actually have some leftover yellow so this could work. I want to use some stuff up. I think 8 cookie trees will be fine for PK teachers that he sees 2x week. Going to make some fondant packages to set uder the trees on the platter--thinking $tree stop today--someone posted they got some cute things there for display and packing.

I will have fun, but this means dh will have to watch 3 kiddos 4 and under--bahahahaha

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 21

I'm thinking of doing one for a party I'm hosting this week-end. My plan is:

Green food coloring in the cookie dough.
Attach with white buttercream (snow) and decorate with buttercream or maybe royal.

Even though I don't want it to fall apart I do want people to eat it. If they need a crowbar to get the thing apart I figure I'll just have a leftover mess.

Any comments?

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 21

I made one a while back for a display, I've attached a pic below. As you can see, I covered each cookie in fondant. I used Alice's cookie icing to decorate, and to hold the stack together. I didn't dowel it, and don't think it needed it. I did travel with this one, I took it to a business expo, and then back to the shop where I bake. In hindsight, it might've been better to use royal to stand the top star up, but other than that, construction held up just fine! There are 10 cookies total. I alternated making 1 or 2 of each size of the 6 sizes of stars.
LL

cakeatopia Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 21

Momsandraven---mine looks VERY much like yours only I used a diff color of green! First time is always the beginning try and you fid easier ways. Next time, I think it will be faster.

How much are you guys charging? I had 9 cookies inclding the star. If a friend wants to order these, I don't think I could charge less than $20 b/c it is a bunch of work!

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 21

Here is a picture of one I nade last night for my niece to take to school. I used the 6 cutter set from Wilton and held them together with royal icing. It held up just fine and everyone loved it.

Thanks
Jackie
LL

MomLittr Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:06am
post #13 of 21

I finally got around to making one, with some leftover dough from another cookie order. Made two of each size. It is late and I was lazy, so used green sanding sugar on the cookies before baking, and some leftover royal to attach and decorate them. Had a few round candies, so added them for "lights". I plan on offering these to folks at the office for purchase. So, $5 each sound like a fair price, or is that too much?

deb

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:10am
post #14 of 21

$5 way too LOW....

more like at least $15

cakeatopia Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 12:30am
post #15 of 21

agree with doug. onr of ds's teachers aked if i would do 5 for her and how much. i told her $15 and she was ready to pay right there. told her wait for delivery. mine are 9 cookies w/fondant. includes the plate and gift bag(2pk at 99cents only for a buck). i just have stay healthy so i can do these. figure 15 will pay for most of my supplies for all and the rest profits.

ETA: I was typing with a baby in one hand so forgive the lower cases and poor grammar--I should be embarrassed since I taught Lang Arts for 11 yrs.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 12:41am
post #16 of 21

Starbucks is selling them for $10.95 for 8 cookies, no star on top...5" tall...3 small rectangle cookies on the bottom to look like gifts.

WHY WOULD ANYONE SELL THEM ANY LESS THAN THAT??????

As soon as I get home I will try to stick a pic of them here...

Thanks!

sorry too big will post in cookie gallery with hopes that one of the mods will stick it in here..lol

MomLittr Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:38am
post #17 of 21

Doug & Cakeatopia, if mine was fondant covered (as opposed to sanding sugar - see the one in my pics), they were alot fancier and I put them on more than a cardboard round covered with foil, then I would charge more. Right now $5 covers with a small profit. Already have an order for two of them!

deb

cakeatopia Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 21

MomLittr--your tree looks GREAT! You used more cookies than me, so I still think you could could charge more, but as long as you are fine with the price. I know you will get more orders! This idea has been around for ages but people Ihave given them to are just amazed. I wish I could say it was my idea--lol Congrats on your order! Don't forget the $ store if you runout of cardboard and stuff.

I am sitting here reading posts while I take my airborne, hoping to boost the immune system, since I will bake my order NEXT weekend and don't want to be sick while making them then! lol

MomLittr Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 21

Caketopia, I found a free way to get the cardboard I need for any cakeboards - bring home the photocopy paper boxes from the office when they are empty! That cardboard is pretty strong and even if I need to double up, heck they were free.......all I have to do is cut the shape I need. And using the store-brand aluminium foil, the cost is also cut down. Truthfully, don't think anyone at the office would pay more than $5 for these. Would love to get $10 each for them! I have raised my "price list" since beginning this earlier this year, especially since the decorated cookies take so much time. Matter of fact, I plan on raising the prices of all things after the holidays (not that I really sell that much). icon_biggrin.gif

cakeatopia Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 9:30pm
post #20 of 21

Well, your tree is pretty, so whatever you choose is best to charge is up to you. But it is a pretty tree. I just love baking(cheaper than prozac, er, I think--lol)

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 2:04am
post #21 of 21

Hello everyone...
first let me say that the trees pictured are all beautiful; you all do such great work.
cakeatopia, to answer one of your first questions, I have made these using my ginger bread recipes & find them to be really sturdy. Once placed as a center piece on the table, the scent of the spices just adds to the ambiance. Mine have always been made to be eaten.
I have decorated mine with Royal Icing, however my preference is chocolate. Even if I decorate with royal, I have used melted chocolate to hold the layers together. I have never had a probem transporting them.
hope this gives you another option.
ciao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%